CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Communication Breakdown.

Today was a strange day...my preceptor had to leave by 11am to go to Great Falls, where she was going to catch a flight to Yakima, WA. So after doing rounds and seeing one patient in the clinic, I was done for the day.

After briefly introducing myself to the radiologist I will be shadowing tomorrow, I was off on my adventure for the day: going to Walmart (*shudder*) and "the mall." I put "the mall" in quotations because it isn't a mall, it is a small shopping center, with a Sears and a Claire's and not much else. Fortunately, it had "The Athlete's Foot," so I was finally able to buy the new running shoes my feet had been begging for (damn plantar fasciitis). My debit card wouldn't work though, and the salesman explained to me that some idiot had cut a huge fiber-optic line about 60 miles south of here, and knocked out power to 14 cell towers and internet lines over a huge part of northern Montana. I quickly pulled out my cell phone and was horrified to see that he was right: No Service. After paying with a check (I'd almost forgotten how to write one) I raced home and discovered my internet didn't work either. I was going to have to make this a communication-free day...

First I tried to tackle one of the four assignments I have to do for school while on this rotation. I got about a 1/2 of a page written and decided that I should really just accept my procrastinating ways and wait for the last week to get started. Then I laid down to read a book, but after 45 minutes I gave in and just took a nap. I swore it would only be for an hour.......

Two and a half hours later I got up. I am so bad at naps. Cell phone service was intermittent at best at this point, and without my phone actually ringing, I heard a beep informing me that I had a voicemail. The PA from the clinic was inviting me to the town square where there was going to be a BBQ and a band this evening. After about 4 attempts at calling each other without luck (cell service was still atrocious) I gave up and went to the gym. By the end of my workout, my phone was working a little bit better and I was able to get enough details from Debbie (the PA) to make my way downtown to the fun.

And it WAS fun...it was so nice to get out and hang out with people in a casual atmosphere, without worrying about being all professional and student-y. I wore jeans and flip flops and a shirt that shows my belly when my arms are raised. AH, FREEDOM!!! There were casual mentions of grabbing a beer sometime, and perhaps even filling in on a rookie golf league tomorrow with the PA. Two and a half weeks in Havre, and I am finally getting out...and thank goodness, I was beginning to forget what it feels like to be 24!

So, obviously, when I returned home, my internet was finally working and my phone seems to be with service more often than without. It was an interesting 9 hour experiment without any form of communication to the outside world, but I'm glad it's over. Then again, this means I have no more excuse not to update my patient logs...blech.

Jen

0 comments: